You know that book we both read called “Banana”...
Background for the people who didn’t read an entire book about bananas:
Its a little known fact that bananas in the wild actually have seeds, usually the size of a fingernail.This undesirable trait has been bread out of the bananas produced for mass consumption. The cavendish bananas that today frequent our kitchen tables are the replacements of the Gros Michels that were popular during the 1900’s. The Gros Michels were nearly entirely wiped out by panama disease. This incited a frenzied search for a new banana that was more resistant to the virus.Voila! The cavendish! Although it lacked the full body flavor and more resistant skin of the gros michel it did maintain one specific trait: the lack of large seeds.
Imagine my surprise when I cut open a Cavendish banana for lunch and further inspection revealed the beginnings of tiny seeds inside!

I dont particularly like them either with or without seeds.
ReplyDelete.I have a favorite author john McPhee for well written facts.
Relax, you're too smart already
It’s not my usual nonfiction fare either. I only read it since you recommended it 😀. (Although it did provide a good topic for an English essay about corruption 😉)
DeleteRight now I’m in the middle of a fiction book called “Rodham”. It’s basically a what if Hilary Clinton never married Bill story. It’s strange so far, but I’ll wait and reserve judgement till I finish it.